Tuesday 8 July 2014

5 Steps to a Basic Smokey Eye

Everyone's a sucker for a smokey eye every now and again, right? They're a great way of spicing up a look and adding some drama. If I'm going somewhere special I will do a 'proper' smokey eye but sometimes there just isn't enough time to be faffing around! In those situations, I turn to my 'basic' smokey eye A.K.A the holy grail of eye makeup.

Step 1: Highlighting

This is a step I could never skip, my eyes just feel incomplete without a bit of highlight. Not only does highlighting the tear duct and inner corner brighten your eyes but it gives the illusion of bigger eyes because you are bringing light to that area which opens the eye up. I also like to highlight my brow bone for the illusion of a high arch. 





Step 2: Base

It is really important to prime your eyelids if you want your eyeshadow to last throughout the day. Using a white base underneath alternatively is great for making the colours stand out more. You can do this before highlighting or after, I then like to do a wash of a colour over my eyelid. Here I am going for a brown/bronze smokey eye.



Step 3: Defining

Go in with a darker colour on the crease and outer corner of your eye and don't be afraid to take it quite high. Blend everything with a clean, fluffy brush so there are no harsh edges and to keep things nice and hazy. 




Step 4: Lining

Take the darker eyeshadow used in the crease and brush this under the bottom lash line in the outer corner for the first half of the eye. Then, take the lighter eyeshadow used on the lid and brush this in the other half and blend into the darker eyeshadow and the highlighted inner corner. Using a lighter colour towards the inner corner will open the eyes up more. 



You can line the waterline with a black eye pencil if you are going for a sultry and seductive look but I am keeping things youthful with a gold. This will also make the eyes appear bigger.



This is optional but I love dolling up a look with some black liquid eyeliner. Nothing too fancy - just lining my lash line!




Step 5: Lashes

Finally, finish with your favourite mascara or even some false lashes if you're feeling it!



That's it!

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." - Audrey Hepburn

Lots of love,

Lily

15 comments:

  1. Great post,dear!
    Keep in touch xoxo
    Antonella <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful look! love how you explained the process simply :)

    http://emicphany.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment! I love your blog! :)

      Delete
  3. what a beautiful eyes you have!! also the tutorial looks perfect!

    thelovelymadness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's so lovely of you, thank you! Just checked out your blog - it's great!

      Delete
  4. your eyes are just so gorgeous!
    lienkeelisabeth.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow thank you! You have an amazing blog!

      Delete
  5. You have beautiful eyes! Whenever I do a smokey eye, I just fail because I don't have much eyelid space if you get me, but this makes me want to try again haha! x

    http://jenkinsleah.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ah I would suggest perhaps taking the eyeshadow a lot higher to where your actual crease is so it gives the illusion of more eyelid space. Don't be disheartened, keep trying! :)

      Delete
  6. You have such pretty eyes! This was a very helpful post! I love a good ol' bronze smokey eye! -- Lindsey xx

    http://touchedbythesunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Oooh don't we all! I'm glad you found it helpful :) xx

      Delete
  7. Ahh I love your blog! Plus this smokey eye is absolutely gorgeous and somewhat simple, which is good for me considering I am horrible at going makeup.
    Much love, AnnCates xx
    anncates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete